Preparing Your Trees for Winter
As the weather cools and leaves turn and fall, there are several easy things you can do to help preopare your trees for the coming winter.
- Ensuring that trees have adequate and properly-formed mulch rings is one of the simplest tasks. Check out the “Mulching Guidelines” link at the right for a full description. Remember, trees like donuts, not volcanoes!
- Watering in the winter is critical for young trees. While we still have some warm days, give your trees (especially young trees and those that struggle in our climate) a long, slow soaking. Then, water during winter on warm days, too.
- If your young tree has been planted for a year or so and is staked, remove the stakes now so that removing them in the spring doesn’t damage newly-growing roots.
- Don’t prune trees now, but rather wait until late January or February.
Keep an eye out here for information on another free tree workshop in the spring about selecting and planting trees that do well in our area.
- To protect and encourage the protection of trees, shrubs, bushes and other plants.
- To provide for public health, safety and general welfare
- To promote and preserve the City’s aesthetic value, regulate and control the planting, maintenance and removal of trees, shrubs, bushes and other plants on and adjacent to public property, right-of-way and easements within the City
- Manage the City’s community urban forest in a strong, healthy condition for today and for the future
Membership and Terms
The committee shall consist of five (5) citizen members who shall be residents of the City of Warrensburg and be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Members shall serve a term of three (3) years each, except the terms of the initial members shall be staggered with two (2) members being appointed for two-year terms and one (1) member for a one-year term.
Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 4:00 PM at the Warrensburg Community Center.
Members of the Warrensburg Tree Board
- Suzy Latare: Chair (2012, 2015)
- Mark Goodwin: Vice Chair (2012, 2015)
- Trish Smith (2014, 2020 filled unexpired term)
- Leslie Bayless (2016, 2019)
- Larry Olpin (2014, 2017 Bob Pierceall’s unexpired term)
- City employees are Dodee Matthews, Barbara Carroll and Marvin Coleman.
Tree Board Projects