This commission was created in 2005 to promote the educational, cultural, economic and general welfare of the community.
Duties of the Historic Preservation Commission include:
- advising on surveys to identify historically and architecturally significant properties,
- making recommendation on requests for local landmark and local historic district designation,
- encouraging the nomination of landmarks and historic districts to the National Register of Historic Places,
- advising and assisting owners of landmarks and property or structures within historic districts on preservation, renovation, rehabilitation and reuse, and National Register listing,
- informing and educating the citizens of Warrensburg concerning the historic and architectural heritage of the city
The City of Warrensburg became a Certified Local Government by the Department of Natural Resources’ State Historic Preservation Office in July of 2008. In addition to the above duties, CLG status requires ongoing efforts at public education and outreach, maintaining an inventory of historic properties, and meeting technical training requirements for City staff and Commission members.
Meetings are regularly held the 4th Wednesday of every month at 4 p.m. in the Municipal Center at 200 S. Holden St. A special meeting may be held at any time upon the call of the chairperson.
Membership and Terms
The board consists of five (5) members who shall have an interest in historic preservation within the City. One (1) of the five (5) members shall be a planning and zoning commission member, who shall serve for one (1) year. Members shall otherwise be appointed for terms of three (3) years and shall serve until their successor is duly appointed. The City Manager or his designee shall be an ex-officio member.
To the extent available in the community, the HPC shall include professional members representing such disciplines as architecture, architectural history, prehistoric and historic archaeology, planning, urban design, cultural geography, cultural anthropology, folklore, curation, conservation, landscape architecture, law, real estate brokerage, banking, history or other fields related to historic preservation, and residents of historic districts or potential historic districts.
Members of the Historic Preservation Commission
- Amanda Jacobson: City contact
- Julie Turnipseed, Chair (2017)
- Carla Prael, Vice Chair (2019)
- Deanna Westenhaver, P&Z Representative (2017)
- David Sandberg (2017, filled unexpired term)
- Carla Prael (2019)
- Vacant (2018)
- 2017-2018 HPC Strategic Action Plan
- Grover Street Victorian Historic District Self-guided walking tour (Mobile)/a>
- Grover Street Victorian Historic District Self-guided walking tour (Print)
- Warrensburg National Register of Historic Places Listings
- 2016 Notable Structures and Preservation Opportunities
- 2015 Notable Structures Preservation Opportunities (Print)
- Facade Improvement Grant Application
- Facade Grant Program Details
- Johnson County Historical Society
- Cultural Resource Survey Phase I and II
- Virtual Tour of Old Johnson County Courthouse