Court FAQ’s

Can I pay my ticket with a check or credit card?

You may pay with cash, cashier’s check, money order, Visa, Discover, MasterCard, debit or credit card.

Can I get a continuance?

The Court Clerk can grant a continuance on any case set for the initial appearance. Any further request for continuances must be made in person before the Judge.

I cannot pay my ticket due today, what should I do?

If you have not paid your ticket before your Court date, you must appear in Court. If you are paying your ticket on your Court date, you have until 4:30 p.m.

Can I pay a higher fine and have my ticket amended?

The Prosecutor will not speak with Defendants regarding amendment of a ticket. You must get an attorney if you wish for the Prosecutor to consider amending your ticket to a non-moving violation or lesser charge. The Judge will not amend a charge.

Can I enter a plea of “no contest”?

The State of Missouri does not recognize the plea of “no contest”. A defendant must enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.

Can I have a public defender?

The Municipal Court has no public defender. However, the Judge may appoint an attorney to represent a defendant if 1) the defendant provides proof under oath that they are indigent and have no means to hire an attorney; and 2) that there is a likelihood of jail if the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty of the charge. Both requirements must be made in order to have an attorney appointed to represent you.

What if I choose to plead not guilty?

Upon a plea of not guilty, the matter will be set for trial at a later date. This time allows for both parties to subpoena witnesses and prepare for trial.

Do I need an attorney to represent me?

You are not required to have an attorney, however, it is your right to have an attorney represent you.

Can I request witnesses to testify?

You may request the Clerk of the Municipal Court to issue Subpoenas on your behalf for witnesses you wish to call at trial. It is your responsibility to see that the Subpoenas are served properly and proof of service is returned to the Court.

Can I plead guilty and be put on probation?

It is the Policy of the Court not to place Defendants on Probation without legal cause to do so, or a recommendation from the Prosecutor. The Prosecutor’s policy is not to recommend probation without prior agreement with an attorney representing the Defendant, however, reviews will be made on a case by case basis.