The Warrensburg Fire Department Student Resident Program was developed in conjunction with the University of Central Missouri in 1996 to give college students an opportunity to gain work experience, training, and free room and board while going to school.
The Warrensburg Fire Department provides fire suppression, rescue, first responder, fire prevention, and emergency management services to the citizens and visitors of Warrensburg, MO. The Fire Department operates out of two fire stations. Station 1 is located in City Hall at 102 S. Holden St. and Station 2 in located in the Industrial Park at 1550 Corporate Dr.
Fire suppression, rescue, and first responder activities are provided by three full time shifts that rotate on a 24 hour on duty, 48 hour off duty rotation. Each shift contains a Battalion Chief and two Engine Companies. Each Engine Company contains a Captain and two firefighters. The crews also prepare pre-incident plans for businesses and apartment buildings in the city, conducts training, perform fire hydrant maintenance, and station and vehicle maintenance. This full time staff is supported by up to18 part time firefighters and up to 6 student resident/part time firefighters. This part time staff can respond to larger incidents when requested by on duty personnel. When full time openings arise in the fire department, they are filled from within the part time staff.
The student resident program began with the addition of Station #2 in 1996. This construction included six single occupancy dorm rooms with bed, dresser, shelving and a desk included. Since that time 36 University of Central Missouri students have used this program to gain training and work experience opportunities provided through a full-time fire department.
The goal of the program is to create and maintain a program to benefit both the participants in the Student Resident Program and the Warrensburg Fire Department. The Fire Department benefits from the additional staffing. Residents are to complete a minimum of 48 hours of ride time at the station per month. During this time, the student will be a part of the crew (not counting as minimum staffing) reporting and taking direction from the Captain. The student will be included in all of the activities of the crew they are riding with. On the emergency scene the student may be given various assignments ranging from assisting the Apparatus Driver, to being involved in life safety situations (depending on training level). Student Resident Fire Fighters are cross-classified as Part-time Fire Fighters and will be compensated at starting Fire Fighter rates for All-Calls and working minimum manning (once qualified). Student Residents are subject to the same policies as Part-time Fire Fighters and will receive the same uniforms and protective gear.
The Student Resident receives a rent free dorm style room with the use of the kitchen, laundry facilities, computer, living room, and fully equipped fitness room. The dorm rooms provided by the Warrensburg Fire Department must be the Student Resident’s primary residence while they are in the program. They also receive free water, sewer, electric and cable service.
- Undergraduates must be enrolled as a full time student at the University of Central Missouri and maintain at least 12 credit hours towards a degree.
- Graduate students must maintain at least 6 credit hours towards a degree.
- Must maintain a 2.0 semester grade point average.
- 30% of the former Student Residents were hired on to Warrensburg Fire Department as full-time firefighters
- 93% of the former Student Residents completed their degree
- 70% of the former Student Residents were hired full-time into Fire, Police or EMS services.
- Departments that have hired former Student Residents include:
- Warrensburg Fire Department – Missouri
- Kansas City Missouri Fire Department – Missouri
- Kansas City Kansas Fire Department – Kansas
- St. Louis Fire Department – Missouri
- University City Fire Department – Missouri
- Mehlville Fire Protection District – Missouri
- Gladstone Fire Department – Kansas
- Lee’s Summit Fire Department – Missouri
- Central Jackson County Fire Protection District – Missouri
- Olathe Police Department – Missouri
- Hannibal Police Department – Missouri
- Johnson County Ambulance District – Missouri
- Warrensburg Fire Department’s Student Resident Program was featured in an article in Fire Chief 1-14-2013
- See the complete Student Resident Program Policy